Monday, September 15, 2008

Reno: Sunday, Sept 14, 2008

Roger captured all the headlines in this morning post, so I guess I won't have to share details about who won and how it happened. Complete results, or course, can be found on the Reno Air Racing Association (RARA) website. Speaking of the RARA website, I'll echo the many positive comments I've heard this year about the much quicker posting of results this year. Additionally, I've read many positive comments about the streaming audio they carried this year. I know it is appreciated because last year I couldn't make the races and would have loved to have the streaming audio available.

I doubt, however, that the news articles really capture the atmosphere of the Reno Air Races. People come from all over the world to see the air races. As I write this from the Reno airport, there is a Japanese family sitting across from me, and even though I can't understand what they are saying, I can tell by their gestures that they are talking about the air races. While here this year, I've met people from Germany, the Netherlands, France, Canada and Mexico. Many states were represented here also.

There are many people to thank for this trip being so successful - Rolls Royce, Jeff Lee with NAHI, Bobbi, Fred and John from American Beauty Air Racing, Tyson Riniger of TVR Photography, Bob Lewis of Section 3 and my family and friends in Reno.

Following are articles I'll be working on during the flight home and the remainder of this week:

  • American Beauty / Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation
  • Results for the National Aviation Heritage Invitational
  • What is Section 3
Lessons learned:
  • Don't leave the extra camera battery plugged in at home
  • Bring the sunscreen
  • Drink more water
Heading home!

Tomorrow night is a meeting at the Indy Aero Club. We've got a good guest speaker lined up, too!

No comments: