Wednesday, December 8, 2010

ARTIST PUTS AIR TATTOO IN THE FRAME

Leading aviation artist David Bent, from Swindon, is the man behind eye-catching posters for next year’s Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford.

David said: “I generally like to create my own work and avoid most requests for commissions but this was both an exciting and prestigious opportunity.”

The artist, who features aviation in much of his artwork said the Air Tattoo had inspired him since he first visited the event in 1999.

He said: “I was invited by a friend to join him and his two sons for a day at the Air Tattoo - I had a great time, took lots of photographs and was inspired by what I saw. On returning to my studio, I began to create a new series of aviation-related work and decided to exhibit these back at the airshow the following year.”

Such was its success, David received invitations to photograph aircraft ranging from the Vulcan bomber to the USAF F-117A. He was also invited by the Red Arrows to be their Artist in Residence.

David said: “I was overwhelmed by the response to this early work from pilots and visitors from around the world. They seemed to instantly ‘get’ my new approach and supported what I was beginning to create. Over the following years, my work developed further and I continued to show new work at the Air Tattoo.”

As well as designing the Air Tattoo poster, David’s art work will be used on the Air Tattoo website and will feature heavily on all their promotional material.

David said: “When I designed the art work for the posters I wanted to convey the sense of excitement, dynamism, colour and brilliance of the Royal International Air Tattoo. It is a privilege to be asked to join the long line of talented aviation artists who have created Air Tattoo posters over the years. I hope that the final result will contribute positively towards a fantastic and successful RIAT 2011.”

A spokesperson for the Air Tattoo said: “We are delighted to have David on board as his vibrant artwork beautifully reflects the fun party atmosphere we want to create for next year’s 40th anniversary of the Air Tattoo.”

No comments: