Sunday, June 22, 2008

Midwest Taildraggers' Rendezvous 2008

We attended the Midwest Taildraggers' rendezvous today. It was hosted by EAA Chapter 900 at the Post-Air Airport here in Indianapolis today. We promoted the event earlier this week in the Indy Transponder. We had a good time, saw a good number of planes, and had some great conversations. I sent my daughter on "photo recon" while I was talking to some people in the hangar, and I'll try to get those pictures up tomorrow evening. In the meantime, here's one that I really liked:


The PHI helicopter was there also, and I had an interesting conversation with Floyd, the flight medic. He informed me of all the additional certifications and training that a medic must receive to become a medic on one of these birds. I was really impressed and learned a lot about what these people do that I didn't know before. Maybe we could get one of these folks to do a guest post someday and share some of the things they would most like the readers to know.

Also attending the fly in today was Grace on Wings. I got to speak to Hal Blank for a few moments. He said that in addition to the time spent flying with patients, many of the pilots and medics have given their own finances to make Grace on Wings' missions successful. These really are a dedicated group of people. I didn't know, so I asked. What makes them different from Angel Flight? Angel Flight gives rides to those who need them, but if the patient needs medical monitoring of any type, they don't provide that. That is where Grace on Wings is needed. Grace on Wings makes the trips possible WITH the medical monitoring that a patient would need. (Photo is from the Grace on Wings website. The plane was not at this event.)

The weather cooperated throughout the morning. A few had to leave as weather started moving in from the North shortly after lunch, but we all got in an enjoyable morning and I'm looking forward to the next event.

[posted by Mike Souders]

No comments: